Chickpea bread

You know, surprising even myself, it seems to have worked...

From the mess in the last picture, I kneaded it again and left it to rise again (because I only have a very vague grasp of the basics of breadmaking) and it looked like this, which looked almost bread like:

260520102254

Then I put it in the oven at 170ish degrees and left it til I could smell it (about 15 mins), and it came out looking like this:
260520102256

Sliced, it looks like:
260520102258


It's never going to win bread of the year - it's very dry and tastes a lot like you'd expect chickpea bread to taste like. But it's certainly edible, albeit mostly as an accompaniment to savory things. It's definitely got a chickpea taste to it. I don't think you can make chickpea sweets, though I suppose you might be able to make a baklava type thing. Maybe I'll give that a shot next... This bread might go fairly well with honey, now I think of it.

Anyway, I'm calling this a success. It's certainly better than nothing!

PigletinFrance  – (27 May 2010 at 12:33)  

Hi Nicole, that looks interesting... Do you have the recipe by any chance please or was it more a case of making it up as you went along?

Nicole  – (27 May 2010 at 13:23)  

Pretty much making it up as I went along...

From what I remember, though, it was 5 large tablespoons of flour, a tablespoon of olive oil, some salt, half a packet of dried yeast, and some warm water, added very slowly til the dough was the right consistency. (Except it was a bit too sticky to start with - I probably added too much water.)

Knead until it's all mixed together and looks like dough. Cover and leave for an hour or so, or until it's noticeably bigger. (With wheat flour, it's supposed to double in size. I think you might be waiting a long time for this to double in size, though!)

Then I kneaded and left it a second time, then stuck it in the oven at about 170 degrees, more or less. (Our oven is temperamental...) It didn't take long at all to cook, so keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn.

PigletinFrance  – (27 May 2010 at 13:47)  

Thanks Nicole! I'll have a go at that this weekend probably...

Post a Comment

Copyright Nicole Hill, 2009-2010

All photos and text are mine - ask me *before* you use them elsewhere. Don't just copy them and hope I won't notice, it's theft.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP