UK holiday, days 1-3

Within 2 hours of arriving in the UK, I'd found fast food, had my train delayed and seen urban scrawny foxes scavenging through bins and teenage mothers smoking. I can't imagine why I ever left...

Luckily, the next day improved dramatically. It was half-sunny, and we went to Rochester, Whitstable and Canterbury. (Yes, these are all perfectly do-able in a day trip from London. Quite a long day though...) Photos follow when I can find a sensible way to upload them, but highlights include the largest second hand bookshop in England (it's in Rochester, which is not actually up north, as I first suspected), the Whitstable Oyster festival with dancers and drumming, and Canterbury's general prettiness. (The Cathedral costs 8 quid each to get in, so we didn't. I refuse on principle to pay to see churches, particularly that much money.) And I managed to find new trousers on sale, so I have clothes that fit again - it's amazing how much more comfortable that is! Let's hope my weight losshas finished for now, I can't afford more new clothes. (I know, I know, that probably heads the list of Things On Which No One Will Ever Sympathise With You... But it's a genuine pain when you have no money...)

Today we went to Greenwich and looked round the Observatory and the Time Museum, after walking across the park. Then we got the boat up the Thames to Embankment, where we went to Picadilly to meet my parents (yes, at the statue of Eros - when I tourist, I go all out) and we had dim sum in China Town. My scientific edification of the morning was complemented by a trip round the Royal Academy of Arts and the Sargent exhibition there, which was lovely. A very talented man, John Sargent, though one wonders how many other people might be able to be that competent, with the advantages he grew up with...

Anyway, tomorrow, the dentist, the hairdresser and other bits and pieces. The next day, wedding ring shopping and whatever else we decide to do, then down to see my parents and the doctor later in the week, as well as having my nails done. (I am having a pedicure for the first time in my life. I shall let you know how weird I find it.)

What are you all up to this week?

(Excuse any and all typos in this - the mini keyboard on this mini laptop is a tad challenging...)

Unknown  – (25 July 2010 at 19:59)  

Did you get to go to the market at Greenwich - that used to be a favourite Sunday morning trip for me when I lived in the land of fast food, delayed trains, scrawny urban foxes and teenage mothers smoking.

Can't, for the life of me, understand why I'm living in rural Brittany!

All the best

Keith

P.S. Have been thinking about having a pedicure myself (having read KSam at Totally Frenched Out) - so I'll be very interested in how yours works out. Do they do it under general or local, do you think?

P.P.S. If its secondhand books that interest you, Lewes (in Sussex) is an interesting place to visit? Good brewery, as well! In fact, good bookshops and good brewery = perfect town!

Post a Comment

Copyright Nicole Hill, 2009-2010

All photos and text are mine - ask me *before* you use them elsewhere. Don't just copy them and hope I won't notice, it's theft.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP